Thursday 2 August 2012

6 OLYMPIC SPORTS I MAY HAVE GOT WRONG

Perhaps the greatest thing about the Olympics is for 2 weeks we're exposed to an incredible line-up of sports we wouldn't normally take an interest in, or in some cases, wouldn't even have believed existed if we hadn't seen them with our own eyes...

1: FLAG BEARING: I was so excited when I heard Nick Willis had been selected for this one. I knew he had the legs for it, although I was a little worried in terms of upper body strength. Who won this, by the way? What time were they trying to beat? Or was it just the first one to the grassy knoll?

2: FENCING/SWORDFIGHTING: I think I've got this one right and it's everyone else who's got it wrong. Obviously the actual fencing happened before the opening of the games themselves otherwise the equestrians wouldn't have had anything to jump over. Why people think the swordfighting is called fencing, I have no idea, but I totally sympathise with that Korean lady who sat on the swordfighting stage and cried for an hour after she lost the other day - if someone had just stabbed me with a sword, I'd probably cry too.

3: BOATING: This one's got me really stumped. For starters, it seems to be happening in 3 completely different venues so it must be hard to decide who's won. I wouldn't give it to the ones who do it backwards, because technically they're going in the wrong direction and the winners are actually the ones at the back. There's some people in canoes on a much rougher part of the river, but for some reason they keep turning around and going back the way they came, which must be costing them a lot of time. Then there's the people in the sailing boats who always seem to end up where they started, so obviously they won't win either.

4: SUNBATHING: I watched some of this the other night but it's not as good as it has been at previous Olympic Games. They keep forgetting to take off all their clothes and just start playing volleyball instead. Maybe those English beaches are colder than they expected.


5: DIVE RACING: This is my favourite. It's always so close and it seems to get closer the further they get through the competition. In fact, sometimes it's almost as if they get to the water at exactly the same time! Weird how they always put people from the same country up against each other. I guess that's just how the draw works out. I'd raise those two diving boards up a litter higher if it was me though, so the races last a bit longer.

6: MUSICAL CHAIRS: If I'd known this was an Olympic sport, I would have made more of an effort at all those birthday parties over the years. It looked pretty easy at most stadiums in the early stages, although I noticed sometimes the organisers were putting soldiers in the seats for more of challenge. That first round at the opening ceremony looked really difficult; I couldn't see any spare seats anywhere and the music hardly ever stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment